About the Organization
The world looks to the United Nations for solutions to complex problems everywhere; from ending conflict and alleviating poverty, to combating climate change and defending human rights.
44,000 staff from 193 United Nations Member States work around the globe to carry out the UN’s complex mandates, such as monitoring elections, disarming child soldiers, coordinating relief in humanitarian crises, interpreting at global conferences, and providing administrative as well as logistical support.
Located at the iconic UN headquarters in New York, the Psychometricians / Talent Assessment Specialists / Human Resources Officers contribute to high-stakes assessments and selection tests across all occupations to identify candidates that will serve as international civil servants at the United Nations and who uphold the highest standards of efficiency, competence and integrity.
About the Job
You are a knowledge leader in psychometrics / talent assessment and/or advanced multivariate statistics and want to work in a team of HR generalists as well as assessment specialists to provide global talent assessment solutions for the United Nations.
The Psychometrician / Talent Assessment Specialist / Human Resources Officer:
· Develops psychometrically sound content for selection tests to positions at the United Nations across functional titles and levels. Test development includes conducting surveys and research regarding test and item development, item writing, item calibration, test form construction, scaling and equating, preparing technical documentation, and ensuring health and sustainability of item banks;
· Collaborates in developing, testing and implementing of an internet-based testing platform;
· Prepares statistical analysis and reports regarding the performance of developed tests and develop and execute an approach for sustainable test performance reporting;
· Identifies, reviews and recommends selection testing and assessment tools, such as internet-based or computer-based testing tools, adaptive testing, or asynchronous video-interviewing;
· Plans, organizes, develops and executes various competitive examinations and high-stakes assessments and tests in coordination with United Nations offices;
· Reviews and improves assessment, examination and testing processes and workflows, recommend improvements, and develop guidelines, standard operating procedures for operational activities;
· Develops and maintains effective working relationships with various stakeholders including examination administrators at different duty stations, agencies' focal points, examination applicants and candidates;
· Prepares correspondence, instructional and informational materials to various exam stakeholders;
· Serves as ex-officio on United Nations Competitive Examinations Boards;
· Performs other duties as required.
· Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in industrial and organisational psychology / occupational psychology (applied work psychology), social psychology, human resources management, educational statistics, psychometrics or related area. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience in management or related area may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
· A minimum number of years of progressively responsible experience in (1) talent/employment assessment as part of a corporate (profit or non-profit) recruiting or development function or in (2) psychometric test development and/or research or related area is required.
· Experience in test item development, quality control and data analysis is desirable.
· Experience using statistical software such as SPSS or SAS or an IRT software is desirable.
· Strong background in psychometric theory and application, including knowledge of IRT, Classic Test Theory and multivariate statistics as well as knowledge of measurement topics such as equating, generalizability theory, Bayesian methodology, or standard setting is desirable.
· Knowledge of platforms for online test development, administration, and analysis is desirable.
Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Fluency in French is an advantage.
To apply to currently open positions published on the United Nations (UN) recruitment portal please follow instructions below.
Application deadlines for currently open positions are as follows
- Examinations Officer, Temporary Job Opening # 67154 by 4 October 2016
- Examinations Assistant, Job Opening # 67357 by 28 October
You must apply before the dealine through the UN recruitment portal (inspira.un.org). Please note that in case you can't find the job opening yet, check in soon again as it may be in the process of getting posted.
To apply, please:
1) Register as a user for the United Nations recruitment portal (called “UN Inspira”) at inspira.un.org.
2) Log into the UN Inspira system and go to “Search Job Opening”
3) Select from the dropdown that states "Staff Positions" the option
“Temporary Job Opening”
4) Type in the search window Job Opening numbers stated above:
5) Click "Search"
6) Scroll down to see "Search Results"
7) Click on search result
8) Review the job opening and check whether you meet the requirements stated under education, work experience and languages. Please note that requirements are specific for each job.
9) Click "Apply Now" to create your application in the UN Inspira system for each open position.
You can also search for any other job opening at the United Nations by choosing “Staff Positions” or “Temporary Job Opening” with the search function.
In addition to applying to current openings and after the deadlines stated above you are invited to send you CV to firstname.lastname@example.org as the United Nations is continuously seeking qualified Psychometricians /Talent Assessment Specialists. We will consider your application for future openings.