The Spokane Civil Service Commission seeks a highly motivated leader with a passion for excellent public service. This key position acts as secretary to the Commission, leading staff in support of the Commission's mission: to provide an efficient, effective, merit-based system of employment, ensuring that the most qualified applicants are equitably selected and retained in more than 300 job classifications.
The following is a sample of the types of functions and duties you would perform in this position:
- Plans, organizes, and directs the administration of the City's Civil Service system and the Civil Service staff office. Hires, assigns, trains, and supervises the activities of the Civil Service professional and clerical staff.
- Directs a broad recruitment and examining program. Researches and plans for the improvement and modernization of the merit program.
- Directs the maintenance and administration of the position classification plan.
- Coordinates with departments on various personnel activities.
- Interprets and enforces Civil Service rules and policies, and advises as to their application; counsels employees regarding rights and obligations.
- Performs investigations, and prepares background material for hearings.
- Assigned as secretary to the Civil Service Commission; prepares materials to be included in the meeting's agenda; attends meetings, and maintains a permanent record of the minutes and actions of the Commission.
- Prepares the annual office operating budget estimates for Commission approval.
Open Entry Requirements (must be met at time of application)
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in public or business administration, human resources, psychology, sociology, or related field; AND, seven years of experience in the civil service or human resources field demonstrating progressively responsible managerial experience in public or private human resources administration, including experience in position classification and testing and including at least two years in a supervisory capacity. A graduate degree in an appropriate field may substitute on a year for year basis for up to two years of non-supervisory experience.
For detailed job information and to apply for the position, please go to our website at: https://my.spokanecity.org/jobs/classified/